Tuesday, June 10, 2014

GRADUATION...Wait, Mike is a what???

Its true, Mike is a DOCTOR!!!
The day has come and gone (May 18th to be exact) and it is definitely a day we will always remember, but probably not for the stereotypical reasons like, My husband will have a job??? what, its been over a decade. Or "I will actually see my husband - no more studying for exams or lab work etc. Let me paint a picture of why it will always be burned in my memory...
(get comfy, its a long picture to paint, but one that must go down in our family history)

First of all, it was the same day we decided to move. To drive away with the moving truck. Which means that our entire home was packed up. This means Lincoln's crib was packed and for the first time ever, he was on just his crib mattress in his room with nothing else. Let's also point out the fact that dental Graduation was at 11:15am, which for anyone with toddler's knows this is a dangerous time; close to lunch, close to nap time etc. Of course on this morning Lincoln had to wake up at 5am (because he was in a strange situation) and not go back to bed. We had contemplated getting a sitter, but thought Vienna would do fine and I needed Everett with me to nurse him. Plus with all the changes going on, Lincoln was having a hard time being anywhere without Vienna and being very concerned about everyone being together, so dropping just him off would have been a nightmare (lots of tears and crying). Plus Mike wanted the kids to be there to take a picture with them in his gown and stuff, so we consciously made the decision to bring all the kids. Well if the 5am start wasn't bad enough, the fact that it started 15mins late just kept making things worse. So we're there (in the very back) I've got snacks, books, activities and Grandma and Grandpa (which I wouldn't have survived the entire week without them, they were absolute life savers!!!). I thought I was ready for everything and could handle anything. Hahaha!
The huge organ begins, which scares the crap out of Everett, so he starts wailing. It plays while all the faculty and all the students parade in. I try to get him calmed down. Then the first speaker, then the second and the kids get ansy, Everett is tired, so he gets cranky. Lincoln is already having a tough time. I try to put Everett down in his car seat but he is fussing so I step out into the back foyer part. Lincoln doesn't like that idea, he wants to be with me, so he comes out. While out there he keeps running up to the balcony level where I can't see him and getting into the fire extinguisher. He just isnt his sweet little Lincoln and I feel bad for him. All I want to do is feed him and put him to bed in his own bed for a nice long nap, but I can't. Everett is crying. Then, oh yes, it keeps getting better...Lincoln poops. Of course he poops. I go back into the auditorium to get the diaper bag to change his diaper. I don't want to bother Peg or Alan and I am not going to take Lincoln AND Everett to the bathroom, so I am that lady that changes a poopy diaper in that back foyer area of an auditorium (small room, stinky poo, no garbage) meanwhile I am still trying to listen to the speakers and be there for when Mike walks across the stage. 
By this time, Vienna is getting ornery and won't sit down or be quiet. It is after all 12:30ish and she is hungry and bored...its graduation speakers. Then somehow amongst trying to be there for Mike's moment, a custodian is wondering around with my diaper bag in her hands claiming that it somehow got put with someone else's stroller (as everyone left them at the back, where we were sitting) luckily I noticed, but seriously...What the H??? Luckily it was all intact. 
So it continues...Lincoln is dying, he is so hungry and SOOOOO TIRED it is painful, he is crying. Peggy - bless her heart, comes out to tell me that Mike is walking across the stage and she will stay with the boys so I can get a picture. I go back into the auditorium and Lincoln is screaming, I mean S-C-R-E-A-M-I-N-G for me, so I march back and get him (so irritated and frustrated by this point I want to scream) I am in the aisle with Lincoln and the camera trying to find Mike's eyes to let him know I'm there and so happy for him while underneath I am dying and want to burst into tears. I take his picture, watch him walk across the stage then I march back to our spots grab everything (bags, toys, snack wrappers, activities and all my kids) I say to Peggy and Alan "I shouldn't have even come, if I stay another minute I am going to start crying, I am taking my kids home and I will find a way for you to get home with Mike!" I turn and drag my kids all the way to the car. Put them inside and started to cry. HOLY CRAP!!! I didn't know what to do, but what I did know, was that my in-laws are officially concerned about my well being, think I am crazy and I'm sure feel bad for Mike to be married to such a spaz. I am so sleep deprived from staying up late to pack and dealing with kids who know something big is happening in their lives but can't comprehend it all. Plus, I am thinking of everything else that needs to be done at the house as soon as we get home. Not to mention, I'm hungry, I want to be here for Mike's special day, I was planning on going to the banquet after for lunch as we had nothing in our home, and I wanted to see some people and say some last goodbyes. More than anything though, I wanted my kiddos to have a good lunch and for Lincoln to have a good nap. I just started driving around the 5 story parking garage at the art museum, thinking. I almost left twice, but didn't know how they would get home and I'd regret missing out on Mike's special day. After just 1 floor of driving, both Lincoln and Everett were sound asleep. Great...Lincoln is super tired, but also hungry. Plus, now I can't go to the banquet without waking him up..,I seriously just can't win. I just drive, cry, think and text Mike (who totally gets it) but I'm so worried what my in-laws are thinking of me. 
Anyway, graduation ends, I text Mike and tell him I never left the parking garage, but that the boys are sleeping. They come find Vienna and I and we decide what to do. Vienna and I get pics of Mike in his robes, but Lincoln and Everett are asleep and of course Mike had to return the robes right afterward, so his 2 boys never got pics with him anyway. Agh!! After some discussion, Peg and Alan offer to stay in the van with the boys while we go get some food at the banquet. Well, not even 15mins after that, we get a text message saying that the boys are AWAKE and CRYING. Ugggh, of course. But I knew this would happen. Mike goes to get them, they join us for some food. Everett of course needs to eat and I, of course, have a dress on that doesn't have any stretch to the neck, so I have to ask someone if there is anywhere I can nurse him. Luckily they let me in to a secret locked room in the back of the banquet area, so I can completely undress myself and not have to be sitting on a toilet in a stall to feed him. Oh my gosh when will this day ever end????? If that's not enough, it's already 3pm by this time and we still have so much to do at the home before we are able to leave, its sickening. At least we had full tummies and I got to be there with the man of my dreams for this very momentous occasion in all of our lives! It has been a LONG but oh so special journey towards Mike reaching his ultimate goal and become a dentist. We know we have been so blessed with a wonderful profession and would not change the memories, the sacrifices, the friends and the time for anything else. The journey is the best part and we have many more journeys ahead of us. Thank you to everyone (especially our parents) who have been so supportive and helpful during this time, we honestly wouldn't have been able to do it without your continual love and support. 
In the end, we all survived the day, and I will NEVER forget it either!
 Playing at the art museum while I nurse in the little kids house
 This is before it all begins
 The giant organ that terrifies Everett and begins the non-stop "something"
 These aren't in order, Mike getting his diploma from dean Goldberg, who graduated with them.
 Everett stud-man with his blue (Case color) bow tie.
 Our family all together, once we got home (no graduation robes)

 Getting out more activities...
 Grandpa consoling Everett after the organ
 walking out with Diploma in hand...I was not there for this
 His group photo all in robes. (we weren't here for this either :(
 Lincoln doing an activity
 Waiting to walk across the stage. I like this one because it has the flag and the Case sign.
 As much of the family with him in his Harry Potter robes.
 Wonderful, supportive proud parents!
 Our journey together...I'm so proud of him. And during all of it, to be a super supportive, helpful husband and amazing Father to his 3 children. He really is my personal Superman! I love you Doctor. Husband!
 Vienna doing her activities
I also liked this one while he was waiting because it was with some of his close classmates. Him and Minh shared the same board patient, so they are forever bonded. 

Next: Our exodus to Pasco

No comments: